Sunday, July 18, 2010

It's a 90's day

First gravel of the day.

The weather wasn't looking promising for a ride this weekend but with thunderstorms forecast for Sunday, Saturday seemed like the best option. I headed out early and rode from the house to Stillwater where I refilled on water before crossing the St. Croix river into Wisconsin. I then worked my way north towards Osceola, WI on some great gravel and paved roads that climbed in and out of the valleys feeding the St. Croix.

I couldn't stop for long, the mosquitoes were thick and hungry.

Despite plenty of water and food the heat took it's toll and I felt like calling for a ride home when I got to Osceola. I spent 20 minutes in an air-conditioned gas station, refilled on ice water and ate a sandwich before calling Leah to meet me back in Stillwater. I felt refreshed for all of 3 miles but the heat radiating off the fresh black top on Hwy 95 took the figurative icing off my cupcake. I was in survival mode and just needed to push the pedals to Stillwater the most direct way which meant straight down 95. There are more scenic routes to get there but I didn't have the luxury of exploring them.

Two hours later (I told Leah it would take 90 minutes) I made it to Stillwater and our friends Pete and Jen's Life is Good store. Leah and Jen were waiting with cold water, a towel, fresh clothes, and the glorious chill of A/C. That ended 90 miles in 92 degrees and what felt like 90% humidity. Definitely a 90's day.


No comments:

Post a Comment